Chili con carne
4 people • Preparation : 20 min • Cooking 1 h 40 min • 390 calories per serving
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ red Chili pepper dried and chopped
- 1 green pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 400 g lean ground beef (lean minced beef)
- 2/3 cup canned tomatoes (diced)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups red beans ( canned)
- Pepper ( to your taste )
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons of water (if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- 1 lime
- Prepare the vegetables. Finely chop the onion, mince the garlic and chili pepper, slice the pepper into small dice.
- Heat half the oil over medium heat in a skillet or saucepan. Cook the onion and garlic about 3 min until they become translucent, stirring occasionally to avoid burning. Remove from pan and reserve. Add the other half of the oil in the same skillet, still over medium heat and add the minced meat. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the meat loses its pink color.
- Put the cooked onion and garlic in the pan. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, pepper, red chili pepper, cumin and brown sugar. Pour the hot broth into the mixture. Cover and cook over very low heat for 1 ½ h, checking occasionally that the mixture is still quite wet. Add water if necessary.
- Drain the beans, rinse them and drain again and add to the skillet. Stir and cook an additional 8-10 min. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with chopped fresh coriander, garnish with lime wedges and serve.
TIP: Basmati rice is an excellent accompaniment to chili con carne.